How Much Exercise Is Needed?
- Oct 15, 2014
- Dr. Asa Andrew
The question that I get constantly is how long do I need to exercise to get results? There are many theories on what will give you the greatest benefit. The time needed to yield the greatest fat-loss and weight-loss results are dependent on your current weight and goals. If you need to lose 100 pounds, then your program will be different than someone who needs to lose 20 pounds. The routine will contain basic concepts for losing weight. Below are some basics to help you get started on your journey toward being healthy and reaching your desired goals. In general, moving 5-6 days a week is important. We eat every day, sleep every day, sit every day, stress every day. We need to teach ourselves to move each day in a way that improves our body and increases our lifestyle performance.
1. Plan to exercise 5-6 days per week.
2. Start with just 10 minutes a day and work hard enough to sweat.
3. Exercise in the morning to increase metabolic rate for the day and create a habit that you wont miss.
4. Drink half your body weight in ounces of water daily to increase fat-loss and support healthy hydration for performance.
5. Mix up your activities. Walk, bike, swim, lift weights. Keep your body guessing
*Exercise is Medicine is a campaign of the American College of Sports Medicine for health care professionals to encourage exercise for improving overall health.